Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bookless

I have been trying to read A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry but have not got the time to actually sit and read at length. That is the only way I can enjoy a book. I can't read a book in duress, with a sandwich in one hand, and the book perched in the other, thoughts of reaching the office in time flitting through my mind.

The beginning was quite ordinary and any war book must be extraordinarily good for it to interest me. I flipped to the end and read some pages in the middle. That is where the real human story emerged, and I was relieved I had laid hands on an emotionally evolved work.

In the meanwhile, I have been reading a few short stories off the Net. On a day I had nothing much to do, I googled "short stories" and came across a website named Short Stories at east of the web. I have trawled quite a few short stories websites, and can safely say that this is one of the better ones. Try They're Made out of Meat or That's How She Says Goodbye. Good stuff.

I don't know how much longer can I survive this book-less phase. Need to figure out something soon. It's jangling my nerves already.

No comments: