Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Food of love

"...such music, is a sufficient gift. Why ask for happiness; why hope not to grieve? It is enough, it is to be blessed enough, to live from day to day and to hear such music - not too much, or the soul could not sustain it - from time to time."

With those final words, Michael Holme in An Equal Music reconciles the permanence of his grief, with the realization that he has lost Julia forever.

Music, to paraphrase Michael Ondaatje, it has a power.

Albert Einstein, before the world came to know him as the greatest scientist ever, was an accomplished amateur violinist. While working on the Special Theory of Relativity, he would often listen to Mozart's symphonies whenever "he thought he had come to the end of the road," in the words of his son Hans Albert.

Music gives solace to those hurting in love. But to me, I need to transcend that. The calmness is my inner state, it is what speaks to me. I don't need solace- I analyze it and want ultimate beauty which it does not give me.

Too much music, like too much beauty can lift the soul to a weakness whose sharp sensation lingers within.

Relief to a burdened soul, burden to a relieved one. That's music.

No comments: