Saturday, April 28, 2007

Goodbye Mike, Hello Christine

Los Angeles Times sportswriter Mike Penner is taking a sabbatical to return to work as Christime Daniels. That's right--in a moving column, Penner explains his decision to reveal to the world that he is transsexual:

For more years than I care to count, I was scared to death over the prospect of writing a story such as this one. It was the most frightening of all the towering mountains of fear I somehow had to confront and struggle to scale.

How is it going to affect his work output?

People have asked if transitioning will affect my writing. And if so, how? All I can say at this point is that I am now happier, more focused and more energized when I sit behind a keyboard. The wicked writer's block that used to reach up and torture me at some of the worst possible times imaginable has disappeared.

My therapist says this is what happens when a transsexual finally "integrates" and the ever-present white noise in the background dissipates. That should come as good news to my editors: far fewer blown deadlines.

Read my review of Transamerica here.

No comments: