Wednesday, August 22, 2007

David Leavitt

David Leavitt, author of the upcoming The Indian Clerk (look out for my review, which will be published here soon), speaks to Mark Sarvas of The Elegant Variation about the book, writing and Subtropics.

I'm not one of those writers from whose pens prose flows effortlessly, and who rarely change a word. Instead I hurl something down, print it out, look at it, wince, try to clean it up, print it out again, look at it, see a vague possibility of something decent, work on it some more, print it out again, smile in pleasure, take a break to have a coffee, come back, read it again, cry out in horror that I could think something so hideous was any good, work on it some more, print it out yet again…and so on, until…well, until it's as good as I think I can get it. And even then I'm usually not satisfied.

Thanks to Critical Mass for the link.

3 comments:

Eric Forbes said...

Thanks for the link, Vikram! Enjoyed the David Leavitt interview!

ritu said...

I like your blog patrakar 2b
look forward to reading some more

Vikram Johri said...

Ritu, thanks for your words. You seem to have quite a "yummy" blog of your own.

Eric, my pleasure!